Quick Read : Node-OS is the first operating system powered by npm.
NodeOS is a Node.js based operating system, built-off of the Linux kernel. The NodeOS Project is aiming to, and can already run on some of the following platforms:
- real hardware like desktops, laptops, or SoC’s (Raspberry Pi)
- cloud providers like Joyent, Amazon or Rackspace
- virtual machines like QEmu, VirtualBox, VMWare and KVM
- PaaS providers like Heroku or Joyent’s Manta
- container providers like Docker & Vagga
Core development is being done in layers. There could be some differences to adjust better to each target platform, but the general structure is:
- barebones custom Linux kernel with an initramfs that boots to a Node.js REPL
- initramfs Initram environment to mount the users partition & boot the system
- rootfs Read-only partition image to host Linux kernel and initramfs files
- usersfs multi-user environment with the same behaviour of traditional OSes
You can Check and Contribute to this Project by following their GitHub from Here.